British Cherry season is upon us as those juicy red nuggets are in abundance. We love them in the Ready Freddie Go household as they are so sweet and plump – they don’t last long in the fruit bowl. In fact they are pretty much eaten straight out the paper bag before they make it in there! Here is a simple recipe to use them to make fresh cherry Bakewell bars.
Cherries are so versatile too, they hold their sweetness and shape when cooked, so along with #LoveFreshCherries I have made fresh cherry Bakewell bars, brimming with fresh cherries and nostalgic Bakewell tart flavour, perfect cut into slices and taken on an adventure! This recipe contains 250g of cherries, did you know that just 100g contains 25% of your recommended daily allowance of vitamin C?!
- 250g Fresh cherries, stoned and halved
- 150g ground almonds
- 150g flaked almonds
- 1 pack ready rolled shortcrust pastry
- Strawberry or raspberry jam
- 150g butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- One medium egg
- Line a pie dish or even a brownie tray with the pastry and prick with a fork. Bake as directed until slightly golden (remember it’s being baked again with the filling in) and cool.
- spread the jam over the base of the pastry case, it’s your preference to how much you like here! Scatter on a quarter of the cherries , halved.
- Melt the butter in a pan and take off the heat. Stir in sugar, whisked egg, almond extract and ground almonds. It will be a thick paste and it smells DELICIOUS. Mix in the rest of the cherries to the mixture.
- Pour the heavenly mix into the pastry case and scatter with the flakes almonds.
- Bake at 180oc or until the middle is no longer jiggly. The almonds may brown a little too quickly here so just cover with foil if this starts to happen.
- leave to cool and cut into bars – enjoy!
Fresh cherry Bakewell bars
They transport beautifully and really pack an energy punch for an afternoon boost! Did you know that both tart and sweet cherries are a source of our sleep hormone melatonin, and whilst still in its infancy, there is promising research linking cherry juice to better sleep – win win!
Do you have any favourite cherry recipes?