However for the past few days I have been desperately craving faggots – I get them from my local butcher and I adore them but they are so high in fat. I have never made faggots so really wasn’t sure I could emulate that authentic Black Country taste. I gave it a go and I am thrilled with the results! They are the perfect comfort food for an autumnal night or just a healthier version of a Black Country Classic.
Teamed with Syn Free onion gravy (loosely based around Mrs mummy Wright’s) it’s a perfect tea.
For the faggots
500g 5% fat pork mince
250g lambs liver (tongice some sweetness)
25g stuffing mix
Salt, oxo, mixed herbs for seasoning
For the Syn Free gravy
Water to cover whilst boiling
- Finely chop (or food process) the lambs liver, and mix into the pork.
- add the dry stuffing mix, herbs, whole oxo and seasoning (I did this by eye really so id day at least a teaspoon of each)
- roll into balls, I made four chunky faggots to make them a syn each but obviously you can adjust this how you want.
- cook on 120c for about hour to develop a crust and cook through.
- Get some Syn Free chips on the go whilst you make your Syn Free gravy
- cover the faggots with 3/4 of the gravy and put back in the oven at 180c for ten minutes.
- serve with peas or how ever you like.
To make the gravy
- Chop three Edwin onions and put in a saucepan with an oxo
- cover with boiling water and boil until the onion is soft
- when cool blitz in a food processor.
Hope you enjoy the faggots, you could even try them with your HEXb choice to make them Syn Free but I think it’s eSier to use the stuffing as it gives it extra flavour too. Check out my recipe for filthy fries SW style here