I love a Piña colada. Like, adore them. However, I am heavily pregnant and so my hankering to sup them has had to dramatically reduce.
I have, however been able to replicate the flavour with another of my favourite things (coconut milk) in a breakfast dish!
When I am at work I usually prepare breakfast the night before in the form of overnight oats. Being pregnant I am ravenous 99% of the time and I prefer to have something filling and nutritious first thing in the morning. It’s far easier for me to have my breakfast on the go, as well as this way making it simple for me to get a healthy start to my working day as a nurse, the night before!
- 50g oats
- 150ml of Vita Coco Coconut milk (adjust to your preference of consistency)
- 40g of chopped (as fine as you can) fresh pineapple
- Fresh coconut to garnish, toasted if wanted
- Fresh pineapple to garnish
- Cocktail umbrella for that holiday cocktail authenticity!
- First I mix my oats with the coconut milk and lots of pineapple (extra for me- I’m trying to evict a baby!) I cut my pineapple as small as I can to make it extra juicey. You want the oats to have a slack texture with some of the milk still to be absorbed as this gives it a creamy consistency as it sits overnight.
- I love eating mine out of a Kilner jar as it’s so easy for me to transport and also looks pretty presentable by the time I get to work. I layer oats, then pineapple alternatively as this way I get some nice extra sweetness hits through the overnight oats without using sugar.
- I also add some pineapple chunks and some lovely fresh toasted coconut on top as it gives it a crunchy texture and sweetness kick for the next day. (Cocktail umbrella is optional!)
- I can seal the lid, pop it in the fridge over night and then whack it in my cool bag and I have a healthy on the go breakfast that tastes like a tropical cocktail while I’m working through seeing my patients. Brightens up any working day!
I hope you enjoy these piña colada oats as much as I do!
This recipe is an entry into the Dairy Free Style Your Breakfast challenge with Vita Coco and Foodies100. See more great breakfast ideas at http://vitacoco.com/uk/”