Nothing better on a grey, miserable Saturday than a deep, rich and comforting Steak and Kidney Pie..
What you will need..
600g diced braising steak/ beef skirt
200g diced lambs kidneys
(The above ratios can be altered if you like a more defined kidney taste)
2 diced medium onions
2 tablespoons of plain flour
1 pint of beef stock (or half stock half Ale of your choice)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 pack of ready to roll puff pastry
What you do..
1. Brown the beef in a little vegetable oil, then add the kidney and onion and untill the kidney takes on a little colour and the onions are translucent
2. Sprinkle over your flour and mix well through the meat and onion, this will thicken your sauce for the end result. Make sure all pieces are coated
3. Add your stock and leave to cook on a low heat in a sauce pan or oven top casserole dish. This could take anywhere from one and a half to two and a half hours depending on the beef, I start to check how tender it is after an hour and go from there.
4. Transfer the mix to a pie dish and leave to cool. Meanwhile cut to size your pastry lid and pop on the pie, you can do an egg wash glaze if you like for a nice finish.
5. Pop on the oven on 220 degrees and cook untill the pastry is golden and puffy.
Enjoy and have seconds!