There are still a few nuggets of wisdom that people like to offer which drive me up the wall when it comes to HG. Mostly by people who have never suffered from it!
Here are my top five.
- “Most people get some morning sickness” Nope. No. NOT EVEN. It’s 24 hours a day, every three minutes and it DRAINS YOUR SOUL. This is NOT morning sickness. It’s constant, debilitating vomiting that’s actually very dangerous as it leads to severe dehydration
- “Try some ginger” Yes, of course, ginger. I can’t even keep my own saliva down but yeah..GREAT advice.
- “You need to try and carry on as normal” I lie down and if I turn my head or open my eyes I feel like I am on a vertical roundabout with extreme g force. I cannot get up, it uses every shred of my utter being to drag myself to the bathroom to try and do the worlds tiniest dehydration wee, leaving me lying on the bathroom floor for hours to recover. I lie in my bed and am sick in carrier bags. If I’m sat in a car I’m sick in a carrier bag whilst unable to stop from pissing myself on the seat. How can I make that normal?
- “It’s the hormones..it’s a girl!” I have had two HG pregnancies and have two sons. Moving on…
- “It will be gone after 12 weeks” Actually, mine didn’t stop until 21 week and some mums get this all day, all night for their entire pregnancy, even in LABOUR until their baby is born.
If you know someone with HG offer some practical help. It’s serious and it’s lonley and it saps all the joy out of pregnancy.
Good luck Kate, let’s hope you aren’t inundated with ginger biscuits!